Saturday, November 8, 2014

NBA Shooting Stars: A Celebration of Careers Derailed by Injury

Numerous pundits were riding high on the Chicago Bulls before the season began. With Derrick Rose sidelined with sprained ankles, it got me thinking: who are the best and most dominant NBA players who've had a career cut short by injury? This is a difficult question because I'm not after the most gruesome NBA injuries or careers cut short by injury. I'm not after tragedy either. The players listed below had to have serious highs couple with serious and even abrupt lows. Also, make sure you read past the #1 slot because there is a lot more to this than click-bait.

If you'll note, this trio was so good, that they actually went on to have lengthy careers (and some are in the Hall of Fame!). My primary purpose here is not to start a debate about who had the worst injury. Rather, I am celebrating NBA players who had a few seasons of absolute dominance only to have it taken away by injury and father time. Part of my goal is to examine those seasons to show just how good these players were.

Notable omissions: Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Derrick Rose, Chris Webber, Bill Walton (sorta, kinda, still undecided but my dad loathes him)

4. Larry Bird.

Bear with me because it's strange to make the case that Bird was a shooting star.

When my dad watched Larry Bird, he would say, "Best Pure Shooter." The reason I capitalize that phrase is that my dad always said the last thing to go on a baller is his shot. Bird could still shot even when he back was destroying the nerves in legs. People forget that Bird played his statistically best season at the age of 31 (1987-8). They overlook this season because the Detroit Bad Boys took out the Celtics that year in the postseason. Yet, people also don't realize that Bird only played four more seasons after that. In fact, he was never the same. His PPG dropped by ten after the 87-88 season.

The beauty of Larry Bird is that Bird might have gone down as even BETTER without all his injuries (back, bone spurs, etc).  We forget that if Bird had played his entire career without injury, he might--MIGHT--have the title of GOAT (greatest of all time). But we'll never know, although you have to admit that this is hilarious.

3. Bob McAdoo.

Before you say, "He's a hall of famer!" look at these statistics (ppg/rpg/bpg/mpg):

Season 1973-4: 30.6/15.1/3.3/43
Season 1974-5: 34.5/14.1/2.1/34.2
Season 1975-6: 31.1/12.4/2.1/42.7

Even in the 1970's era of inflated NBA statistics and the arrival of a culture of dunking, McAdoo's seasons stand out. He even won the MVP in his career twice. If he'd been able to stay healthy, my dad told me McAdoo would have been on the NBA's Mt. Rushmore. The man could ball.


2. Pete Maravich.

My dad watched Pistol Pete (actually my dad watched most NBA players from the 70s and early 80s because the NBA wasn't all that popular--tickets were cheap! My dad walked up gates and bought tickets to the 1983 FINALS for $10). I know people over the age of 50 who use Pistol Pete's name as an internet password. There was something mystical about him, especially because you didn't see a whole lot of him on television. Yes, he shot a lot. But he was considered the best ball handler, by those who watched him, to play the game.

He also fell apart because of knee injuries (and had a tragic death too). But I wish we could have more videos like this.

1. Grant Hill.

The man was so good that he only recently retired. The problem is that once he injured that ankle of his, he could only go in one direction and couldn't recapture the symphonic energy of his early career. It's hard to remember that once upon a time, people were arguing Grant Hill could be better than Jordan. My dad used to coach me to play like Grant Hill. If you can't remember Hill's young years, look at these stats:

Grant Hill: Seasons 2-7

Those are insane stats. Look at them...they're almost Russell-esque. He was a monster; if we saw those stats today, we'd probably talk about this player being in the same realm as LeBron (and it actually makes you appreciate LeBron more).

Then, if you remember, Grant Hill fell off the face of the earth. But for those six years, beginning after his rookie year, he was a force that made you want to drink Sprite.

***

But let's say something about all of these players and the other injured-great-ones: basketball is a brutal sport in terms of torque. All the stopping and starting slowly grinds you down, a little bit at a time. It happened to Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Wade, Kobe, and many others. All sports pulverize you. As Bill Simmons writes, "Only three things could derail [someone's] talent: a major injury, circumstances, and bad luck." We are constantly barraged by the media developing new hall-of-famers and announcing the next big thing. Sometimes it helps to remember that there are so many good basketball players that buzzfeed-type articles like the one above don't do the players justice.

Sometimes it's better to take it slow and carefully watch the games, one at a time, just to make sure you're enjoying the transcendental game of basketball. There are so many amazing players, even if they're just shooting stars: lasting only moments over the course of history.

And so that's what brings me to my last point about shooting stars: my dad loves basketball and that's why I started this blog. It's why I mentioned him when I talk about each great NBA player. He's never liked the way the media trashes basketball players and plays. He always says, "If you're playing basketball in the NBA, you're just that damn good."

So here's to all those injury ballers: you're good. Don't forget it. 

3 comments:

  1. I can not but admire truly enable your weblog, your weblog is so adorable and great.It have to try me courage Given scarier things. I Tend to steer clear of them but not anymore.
    Packers And Movers Bangalore
    Packers And Movers Bhiwandi Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

  2. I cannot truly enable but admire your weblog, your weblog is so adorable and great.It has given me courage to try scarier things. I tend to steer clear of them but not anymore.
    Packers And Movers Hyderabad

    Packers And Movers lingampally Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete